From:
Don L Elias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 01:15:13 -0500
When I was looking for a printer in 1994, a computer guru friend
suggested that I get an HP LaserJet even though the price may
be higher, because of their longevity and the ease of obtaining
parts at a later date.  I bought an HP 5P LaserJet for
$800.00.  I checked tonight and the page count is curently at
17,820.  Assuming that a ream or 500 sheets is about 2 inches,
this would correspond to a stack about 6 feet tall.  I have had no
problems with it - except to replace toner cartridges as needed.
I don't know how long a cartidge lasts but it is a long time.
The toner cartridges used to cost $62.00, but I paid $59.00 last
time for a "remanufactured" unit rather that the $70.00 plus for
a genuine HP.  The only time I ever have a jamming problem is
sometimes when I reuse paper to print on the back side.

I have never regretted buying the HP brand.  I print mostly business
related things in black and white so I don't need an inkjet.

I have an Epson inkjet that I have used for Christmas letters, etc.
but I find the cost of new inkjet cartridges to be prohibitive for
every day use.

Both of my daughters have had printers that hold the paper
vertically rather that stacked flat and both of them have had a
lot of trouble with paper feeding properly, especially after not
being used for a few days and getting a "permanent" set in
the paper.  I would recommend avoiding this kind of paper
feed - either in laser or inkjet.

I am still wondering if I did the right thing by saving a few bucks
and buying the "remanufactured" toner cartridge.  Any thoughts
form anyone outh there?

(Just one man's opinion!)

Don Elias

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 17:12:25 -0700 "JOHN G. CAKARS" <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> I received my Epson C40UX as part of my Dell Dimension 4400 order. I
> previously used the HP 820cse and HP 560c. The problem is that the
> cartridge for this printer holds hardly any ink. In the 4 months that
my
> printer has been in operation, I have used 9 black cartridges and 3
> color. I print between 200-500 pages monthly, letters, stuff off the
> web, no photographs.
>
> I'm wondering if I should consider a laser printer. I would hate to
give
> up the color. I am also considering an all-in-one unit. Does anyone on
> the list have any experience with such items?
>
> I have looked at CNET and PC World. But I find the information to be
too
> brief.
>
> john g. cakars
> Albany, CA