From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:27:33 -0800
Rod Moss wrote:
> I have an onboard sound card (ES1869 from ess technologies)

According to the ESS site, the hardware you have is ISA not PCI which means
you have an outdated card and as time goes on, it will not be supported by
any operating system. You are running a 16bit card with an Operating system
that is designed for 32bit. In my opinion it's time to upgrade.

>I have tried the ESS site and they say that the drivers for the card are
built into XP and they will not release new ones.

If this be the case, you will have to load the CD and drill down to the
drivers section and load the necessary ones.

According to the "ESS" site, they say the following,

"Note: Windows installation CD has built-in support for this audio device.
ESS did not and will not release separate ISA audio WDM driver for this
device."

The key words here are, "will not release separate ISA audio WDM drivers for
this device".

It further states that, " ESS ISA (& PCI) AudioDrive Driver from Windows
installation CD are grouped here if needed:
Windows 95, Window 98, Windows 98SE, Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows XP"

All you have to do at their site is click on XP, download the file and
install it. Good luck to you.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers