From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:37:43 -0600
At 04:08 PM 10/9/2002, Vicki Funk wrote:
>I hope someone can help me. Every so often, my pc locks up and the following
>message comes up on a blue screen:
>
>        A fatal exception has occured at 1167:BFFAAD0B. The current
>application
>        will be terminated.
>              *Press any key to terminate application
>              *Press CONT*ALT*DEL to restart your computer
>
>              Press any ky to continue_
>
>Anybody out there able to help me? I know very little about applications and
>such, so please keep it as simple as I am! Thanks.

You need to tell us what operating system you are using, as it does make
a difference.

Most BSODs, (Blue Screens of Death), as caused not by hardware failure,
but by improper installation of the driver.   The driver found in your Device
Manager may be corrupted or a badly written driver.  Have you recently
installed a new hardware component?  That would be the first place to start
looking.  If this was the driver that came with the hardware device, then
look to the web site for the device for a newer version of the driver.

If you are using either Windows98 or Windows98SE than it could be a
corrupted VMM32.VXD file.  We have a bug fix for this issue on our web
site at: http://www.freepctech.com/pc/002/files007.shtml#VXD
Download this file and run it with your Windows98 install disk in the CD
rom drive.   This bug fix is only for versions of Windows98.

If you cannot discover the problem, then repost with more information
such as your version of Windows, any new software you might have
loaded or new hardware you have installed.  Further consider if there
is any action you take in Windows that is common to these BSOD lockups.
Is there a hardware device or software application you start just before the
lockups?

     Bob Wright
The NoSpin Group, Inc.
http://freepctech.com