From:
Harry Winster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 01:04:36 -0500
Mystery of The Missing Memory

Firstly let me apologies for the length of the post but I’ve tried to give as much information as possible and secondly to let you know that I would fall into the category of Newbie.

My basic problem seems to be related to computer's memory or its management of the memory.

I bought a new computer some time ago (Pentium II - 64 Megs Ram - Windows 95 - 4 gb HD) and after a while I could no longer use the clipboard in my word processing and spreadsheet programs to copy and paste data. In Word Perfect I got a message saying, "Error putting data on windows clipboard" and in Lotus the message read "Error copying data to the clipboard".

In addition to this I could no longer drag and drop files in Windows Explorer.
I downloaded a utility called Drag and File and I use this in place of Windows explorer and it works just fine.

As an experiment I reloaded Lotus but this did not solve the problem within the program.

I then tried to reinstall Windows 95 and here my problems really got bigger. One of the problems was that I'd upgraded Outlook Express to version 5 and during the reinstall of Windows 95 my computer became almost as confused as I was.

After the reload I no longer had Internet Explorer or Outlook Express available to me. From what I'd read I gathered that there must be a conflict between Windows trying to load the older version of Outlook Express 4 over the remnants of undeleted Outlook Express 5 files. I went through the computer's folders and found a file called "ie20.exe" which looked suspicious so I deleted it { I saved a copy!) and in the next reload of Win95, Internet Explorer and Outlook Express were there.

An additional problem now is that when I click on "new Message" or "Reply to sender" etc, in Outlook Express, I get a message from the computer saying "There is not enough memory".

I don’t know if this is a related problem or a completely different one, but when I click on an embedded link in an e-mail message nothing happens. That is, it does not launch Internet Explorer or take me to the site if I am already on the net.

Something else that has just come to my attention, is a memory problem during the unzipping of a compacted file. I tried to install a program that uses InstallShield Wizard and I got the following message:

The installShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched. Not enough storage is available to process this command.

However WinZip does not have a problem unzipping files on the computer.

I downloaded Dr Hardware 2000 and sometimes when I run the program, the computer freezes up and sometimes it works. To my untrained eye I cannot see anything in this program that points to a possible fault.

Otherwise the computer works flawlessly. I can do all my work in the various programs but I just can't copy and paste anything within the programs and I can't use my e-mail.

I did remove the RAM card and tried it in a different slot but this did not solve the problem.

Any help would be most welcome in solving the Riddle of The Missing Memory.

Thanks

Harry