Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 08:52:32 +0000
        Hi.
        No, it's more simple. As usual, in bios the on mobo lpt port can be
programmed to be decoded as 3BC+ (lpt1), 378+ (lpt2) and 278+ (lpt3), the
usual addresses of lpt's from PC's day one. But programming it as 3BC+,
then no lpt port appears; probably then, the on mobo super i/o chip does
not admit its lpt port to be decoded as 3BC+, but the Award bios is not aware
of it (again, a stupid bug). Leaving it as 378+ or 278+, an lpt port appears
and is seen normally in Control Panel.
        What I really think is that Iomega's W95 file for the parallel Zip
(PPA3.MPD) is confused by the cheap super i/o chip (LGS Prime) not being one
of the very known ones; I'm telling this to Iomega's support but they are
still with me at the phase which asks "What software version are you using?",
"Have you an antivirus installed?"
        Up to now, my workaround is access the Zip with its DOS utilities;
in Control Panel "D: accessed in MS-DOS mode".

> I think we're down to the problem.
>
> Are you saying that when you go into the system CMOS setup, the I/O range for
> the parallel port is 3BC instead of the more normal 378?  How about when you go
> into Windows Device Manager?  Do the resources for LPT1 show 378 or 3BC?
>
> I'll bet if these two settings don't match (system CMOS and Windows Device
> Driver) that would explain everything.  Including why the Zip works in DOS.
>
> Roxanne Pierce
> R2 Systems, San Diego
> mailto:[log in to unmask]
>
> On Monday, March 09, 1998 02:54, [log in to unmask] [SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:
> >         Hi.
> >         This seems a problem in which it is more needed to know 'why'
> > than 'how'. Last things tried:
> >         -Last software from Iomega node.
> >         -Last bios from Zida (mobo) node. Bios 7/24/97 -> 11/11/97.
> >         -Slow the system: 166 MHz, no internal&external cache.
> >         And again, the strange thing is that no problem with DOS GUEST,
> > but blue screen with W95 (W95 strikes again).
> >
> >         Well, tried this, without result.
> >         One courious thing is that programming in bios the on mobo parallel
> > port to be decoded as 3BC+, there is no parallel port.

Javier Vizcaino. Ability Electronics. [log in to unmask]

Starting point:        (-1)^(-1) = -1
Applying logarithms: (-1)*ln(-1) = ln(-1)
Since ln(-1) <> 0, dividing:  -1 = 1
     (ln(-1) is complex, but exists)