From:
"Twin*.*Star" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 17:12:16 -0500
If you are trying to copy from hard drive to a CD-R(W) via a CD burner as
you stated, then you must use the software that came with the burner or a
similar software specifically for a burner.

If what you really want to do is copy from the burnt CD to the hard drive,
then you can use xcopy(32) after you have at least install Win9x. You must
do it from Windows in order to preserve the LFNs as xcopy32 will do. If you
type xcopy from a DOS window, it will automatically run xcopy32.

Xcopy32 will copy all files if switches are set properly, i.e.

xcopy c:\*.* d:\*.* /s/e/c/h/r/k/v to copy from drive c to drive d

type xcopy /? to find out what all these switches do.

Be aware that there are some minor (major if it affects you <G>) problems
that can occur WRT the DOS 8x3 name. Specifically, when xcopy copies LFN
files it truncates for the DOS name to abcdef~1 if this is the first file in
the folder. If you have more than one abcdefxxxxx file/folder, it may not
rename it the same as on the CD, i.e. what was abcdef~1 may now be abcdef~2.
Any reg entries and/or shortcuts using the ~1 will not find the proper file
since its DOS name is now abcdef~2.

Again, rarely a problem but could occur.

Daniel Wysocki
Twin*.*Star Computers
770-498-2582 / 800-816-0663
Fast - Reliable - Wallet Friendly