From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:42:33 -0400
Hi,

You should look on main board for a jumper to move.  That was the way it was
done before the BIOS's took over.

It may not have one.  I had a customer that wanted to install a PCI video
card as the boot video device, but it could not be done, I think it was a
Compaq also, not sure of the number - no jumper and no bios setting to
disable the on board.

The system also did not have an AGP slot, hence the PCI card.

So the PCI card sits on his shelf.

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore
Hey all-

I'm helping a friend get a video card going <I use this term loosely at this
point).  The PC is a Compaq 5000us.  As per usual, the woman has no manual &
HP is no help, once again.

There is no setting within the limited BIOS to disable the onboard.  I tried
uninstalling it, shutting down, installing the new card & rebooting.

Worked fine- once.  Next start-up only one long, one short beep- black
screen.  Code points to BIOS something or other.  I moved the jumper over &
back.  It again fired up OK- two times this time.  Now it's back to the
beeps.

I tried it in all the slots.  Same thing.

Very frustrating as it does work.  I noticed that the onboard adapter pops
back up in display adapter- so I tagged it as "disabled in this profile"- no
go.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com