From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 2004 12:13:57 -0700
Doug Kit wrote:
>I am presently using a Microsoft wireless 802.11b base station (MN-500)
]
When purchasing any type of wired/wireless hardware, not all products are
created equal nor may they be compatible with certain hardware/software
situations. Do the necessary research and purchase the best you can buy.
Don't let the "I got a good deal" put a bad taste in your mouth when you
find out it wasn't all that good. The bottom line is important and so is the
performance of the hardware.

David Gillett wrote:
>The physical location of the Ap is probably not as important as the
>location, shape/type, and, for some types, the *orientation* of the
>antenna(e).

>I have no complaints except it's weak signal 1 1/2 floors from the
>base station,

Dave made a good observation on the subject. Again, experimenting with
placement may help. I would try putting it as high as possible. As for
boosting the signal, one response was to build "parabolic antennas" Which
for the most part seems reasonable however, there may be some point where
the signal is not omni directional which may defeat the purpose. 1 1/2
floors from the base may be the limit of your equipment. Check the specs of
your base to see what the signal output is or should be.

>but would like to know if the newer 802.11g systems are worth
>the upgrade and is speed the only advantage?

G is the newest architecture to come along and I have adopted it in the
networks I build for its capability and signal throughput. It is backward
compatible. Linksys does make a Router with signal boost built in and I
would imagine that more companies will follow suit.

Several companies are coming out with equipment that will boost the signal
strength and will offer repeaters that will be stand alone and not require a
hookup the a router or access point. Linksys is one company you may want to
investigate due to the fact they have information on how to build wireless
networks and provide a wealth of knowledge in that area. They will be coming
out with a signal booster soon. They do have a wireless G router with speed
boost built in. However, the information on building a network is well worth
reading. Look under the heading "Educate Me"
http://www.linksys.com/

Another company that is new to me has a wide range of wireless products is,
Hawking Technology. http://www.hawkingtech.com/ Here you will find some
interesting products including indoor and outdoor Hi-Gain Antennas.

All in all the field of wireless is growing and new hardware is popping up
daily. Some very inventive folks will invent their own hardware to achieve
the same goal. It's a matter of what do you want the equipment to do for you
or what do you want to do with it. Every situation is not the same. Evaluate
your needs, research the best possible method and purchase accordingly.

Sincerely,
Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: