From:
Robert Prickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 06:04:01 GMT
I have been going nuts trying to understand why my P2T2 with AMD
K6-2/400 is sooooooo slow!

All the diagnostics [wintune, sisoft sandra, etc] show the amd
cranking along at full speed, as compared to other similar chips.

But the system is so unbelieveably slow---I mean slow, and I've tried
everything submitted to me, cache, CMOS,  etc.

About to give up, I decided to burn a CD of existing software to have
a record, when the SCSI Adaptex/Plextor CDR would not pass the test!

[I've made dozens of CD's].  The CDR diagnostics shows this:

13.6 maxtor hard drive, partitioned: [c, e, f] 166 to 196 kb/sec
3.2 western digital, partitioned,  [d, g] 2056 to 6144 kb/sec.

Now, how the hell does a new maxtor HD run so slow?  More important,
what can be done?

I toyed with the bus master hd controller, but it should affect both
the hard drives, right?  Why is the maxtor so slow compared to the WD?

Would a new 33/m drive controller help?

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html