From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 21:15:34 -0700
If you can't kill a program using ctrl/alt/del, then open run msconfig
(start/run/tpye in msconfig/click enter) and click on the start tab.  Scroll
down until you find the offending program and uncheck the box next to it,
click Apply, then OK. You'll be prompted to restart and click yes.  I'll bet
you'll be able to run scandisk then.  If not, you need to uninstall the app
that is writing to your disk.  A program like wmexe should not be running
all the time.  A lot of apps install themselves to run at startup, and in
addition to using up resources, it is not necessary.  I have only the
minimal number of programs running at startup that are necessary, such as my
firewall.  It is probably the program common to both computers.  Either
uninstall it or keep it from running at startup.

I did stop all running programs except Explorer, systray and wmexe and still
couldn't do scan disk. Oddly I wasn't able to to use end task for the wmexe
which has to do with my US Robotics modem. When I tried to end task for
wmexe I got the dreaded blue screen I don't know why this would occur. I am
puzzled still. Thanks for any info, Bob

Robert you need to turn off your virus scanning, hacker control
programs like blackice Etc. Also turn off your screensaver. Or any
other TSR type programs you may have. After doing your scandisk
and defrag turn them all back on.

Good Luck
Richard F. Bolha

On 4 Jun 01, at 8:59, Robert Flynn wrote:

I am running Windows 98 Second Edition. When I run scan disk it was set to
standard not thorough. The popup window reads "ScanDisk has started 10 times
because Windows or another program has been writing to this drive. Quitting
some running programs might enable ScanDisk to finish sooner. Do you want to
continue receiving this warning" Interestingly on another computer also
running
Windows SE I had the same ScanDisk problem. Could it be some program
recently
loaded common to both computers? Thanks

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>