From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 14:07:24 -0400
This is not a hardware issue and you should put the jumper back the way it
was.  NT (win2000 is the updated version) did not like large blank hard
disks.  It would set up a 2 gig partition for the system folder and boot
record, making this partition the boot drive.

You don't give the details of how your son installed win2000, so I can't
guess how he got stuck with the small system partition, but one way to fix
this is to delete all the partitions off the drive.  Boot up with a DOS 7
diskette from win98, and create your partition or partitions using fdisk.
You don't have to format them yet, but you can if you want format the drive
from the boot diskette as FAT32.  Using a boot diskette to format requires
that you have himem.sys on the diskette and that the line
DEVICE=A:\HIMEM.SYS appears on the diskette's config.sys file.
Install win2000 from cd, and it should ask you how you want the partition
formatted.  You can now choose NTFS,  FAT32, or if you already formatted it
in DOS, leave it as is.  When the win2000 setup is done, the complete
capacity will be recognized.
Tom Turak