From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 15:38:11 -0600
At 03:17 PM 10/12/2002, you wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I hope someone can help me with this. I recently installed an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro video
>adapter in my computer. Since then, I get a "new hardware found - PCI display adapter"
>box every time I boot. The card is AGP.
>
>Here is what I have tried:
>1) I removed the Diamond Monster Voodoo2 card from the system. It had occupied a PCI slot.
>1) I removed the 9000 Pro and reinstalled it.
>2) I have tried to install the driver called for in the box, but when doing this the
>computer hangs.
>3) I booted into safe mode, checked device manager, and removed all display adapter
>entries except for the Radeon's.
>4) I went into the BIOS and chose "no" for plug and play system installed.
>5) I renamed the appropriate windows inf file for the driver named in the dialog box.
>
>ATI's tech support hasn't provided a solution. They say it may be a problem relating to
>my system itself.
>
>My system:
>Win 98 SE
>Abit BX133 Raid motherboard
>Celeron 1 Gig
>448 MB PC 100 ram
>Sound Blaster 5.1 sound
>
>There is no onboard video and no other video card is installed in the system.
>
>How can I get the "new hardware found" box to stop coming up each time I boot?
>
>A related question - I read on a site giving information about AGP that an AGP card
>designed to work in an AGP 4X system will only run in 2D if installed in a AGP 1X/2X
>system. In such cases, 3D will be unavailable. Is this true?

Did you change the entry in your CMOS settings of the Bios for your video
adaptor first choice from PCI to AGP?  Did you download the latest drivers
for the card, expand them out into a directory then install the card directing
Windows to look for the driver in that directory.   You do have an issue with
a 4X AGP card in a 2X AGP board...   and ABIT boards tend to be more touchy
about such issues.   Do you have this motherboard overclocked?  If so, I
would turn it down to CPU speed intended by Intel.   Also, I assume you have
the latest Bios updates, but have you checked your CPU against the warning
on the ABIT site: This board does not support Tualatin core P!!!/Celeron
processors???

I believe that you might be either overtaxing this motherboard or asking
more of it via the 4X AGP video card than it is capable of handling.  ABIT
motherboards are very touchy about hardware components, (I have dealt
a great deal with ABIT boards), and it can take a great deal of constant
tweaking to keep one running smoothly.

The New Hardware issue maybe symptomatic of overtaxing this motherboard.

     Bob Wright
The NoSpin Group
http://freepctech.com

.