From:
Winston Pike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 12:05:06 -0500
>this seems like an elementary question.  i recently installed a new 56k flex
>modem, and it seems to be working fine.  the only problem is that it is on
>COM port 3 and i need it on COM port 2.  installation didn't give me an
>option to select which port i wanted.  COM port 2 is currently being used by
>"standard modem" (which doesn't show up in the Device Manager for some
>reason) which i'm not using.  i've already deleted the drivers to my old
>modem.  so, the question is, how can i "move" my 56k modem from COM 3 to COM
>2 (btw, i'm on a P166, Win 95 OSR2).  thanks.
>
>mark simmons

I've got a simular problem. I recently upgraded to Win98 and have been
unable to get
my modem to work with COM3 (which is where it was for the last 4 years with 3.11
and DOS) because I can't find out how to change the IRQ that gets used for
the modem.
I initially had the modem on COM3, IRQ5. The reason for this is because I've
always
had an I/O card that had 2 serial built in. The card I'd like to use is a
vesa card with:
COM1, COM2, GAME, HARD, and FLOPPY connectors with 2*UMC 82C863
chips (which I assume are the serial chips) and a PROCHIP PR4030B closer to the
hard drive connector. (FCC ID: H9NDI-602) (brand and manual unknown as it was
bought used)
The real question I have is how do I change the IRQ settings in WIN98 so
that I can
put my modem back on COM3?

tia....

Winston