From:
Susan Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 13:06:37 -0400

John  Chin wrote:

>Since the new changes in the A+ Exam are taking
>effect right now, all the materials on the subject in
>the department are out dated.
>
>Can anyone recommend any of the new books on
>the A+ Certification Exam for both the Core and
>DOS/Windows?  Your opinion on books personally
>examined or used would be valuable.
>
>A textbook useful in a classroom environment would
>be ideal. I would like to specify the book for classroom
>use.

I see this question was posted a few days ago but have not seen any answers
yet, so here I go: I just finished testing under the "old" tests, but I
used a combination of old and new books. (I passed btw!) I found that the
"Exam Prep" book was good, by Certification Insider Press, (written for the
new tests) but they are meant to go hand-in-hand with the "Exam Cram"
books. When I bought mine, the "Cram" version was not out yet: this was
about two weeks ago. I would recommend these two books together. Other
testing candidates specifically mentioned Exam Cram books to me. I would
NOT recommend the Sybex A+ books. I am talking about the "old" version, but
it was *so* lacking that I wouldn't touch anything by them, ever again. In
fact, I am having an interesting email conversation with the acqusitions
editor responsible for those books at Sybex, telling them exactly what is
wrong with their books!

Susan Sutherland