From:
Betty Ellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 22:19:02 -0400
I have a Hewlett Packard 7110Z 120 MHz with a pentium processor running
Windows 95a.  Last week the hard drive crashed, and I had to use the HP
Recovery disk to reformat the drive and reinstall the software.  I have
gotten everything back and it seems to be working fine.  But when I do a
standard scandisk it says "no errors found on the drive" but shows
32,768 bytes in bad sectors.  When I try to do the thorough scandisk it
stops at cluster 1395 and says "a fatal exception OE has occurred at
0028:C102F36B in VXD EDSI_506(01) + 000015D3.  The current application
will be terminated" and then I have to restart the computer.  The only
information that it shows for the hard drive is "Generic IDE Disk
Type(01).  But all the applications I have reinstalled are running fine
(DUN, Netscape, MSWord, Quicken, etc.).  I had a new modem (U.S.
Robotics 56k Winmodem) put in last year, but have no earthly idea how to
put a new hard drive in and re-install everything from scratch.  The
only time the computer locks up is when I try to do a thorough disk
scan. My daughter wants to take the computer to college with her, so
will this hard drive last?  She will probably only be using it for word
processing and e-mail.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Betty Ellison