From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:16:32 -0700
If it was video itself, you should get beep codes.  Start with pulling
everything out of the system that is not absolutely essential to it's
operation.  This means disconnecting hard drive, floppy, CD, any USB
devices, printers, etc.  Once it has the bare necessities (video, power
supply, motherboard, RAM, and CPU) try to boot it.  If it boots, start
adding devices back in until the problem occurs again.  When it does, you
know that this is the device causing the problem.  The possible exception to
this is if your power supply has gotten weak, you might have overloaded it.
If you have a spare power supply, or if the one you have is under 200W, you
might look to this as the problem (though a power supply in most cases will
either just work or not work, and if you are getting lights it is "most
likely" working).

If it doesn't boot and you still do not get any beep codes, the problem is
most likely CPU or motherboard, and could possibly be RAM.  I've never seen
a motherboard that won't beep when video is bad.  I've rarely seen a
motherboard that won't beep when RAM is bad.  However, few motherboards that
I've run across beep when the CPU is bad, but some will.  If you narrow it
down to CPU or motherboard, the only way to test would be to put the CPU in
another motherboard and see if it works.  DO NOT put a known good CPU in the
motherboard.  If the motherboard is bad, it could have damaged your CPU, and
if that's the case, putting a known good CPU in it could turn it into a bad
CPU.

If you still hit a dead end, post again with everything you've tried (it
doesn't hurt to carefully document your test procedures).  If you need to
post again, provide the CPU type and frequency, amount of RAM and type,
motherboard mfg, power supply rating, and any additional incidental
information (i.e. what was he doing when it quit working or what was the
last thing he did before shutting the system down before it quit working).

Good luck!

Kyle Elmblade
Distinct Computer Solutions
Sales - Upgrades - Training - Consulting
Due to the current economic situation, the light at the end of the tunnel
will be turned off until further notice.