Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 23:03:02 +1000
A bit of my $0.02, under normal situation, CD drives don't produce much
heat, That's true. but running games (games that must read from CD) for 5 or
6 hours, or none stop burning CD for 7 hours is another story. I told the
story before, I have to tell the story again, one of my co-worker burned his
first CD writer during a long time burning process because he placed his CD
writer and CDROM driver next each other (that leaves no space to let heat go
away). I'm pretty sure every one has experience that after a long run, CDs
out from drives become warm/hot. I personaly have bad experience when CDROM
drive goes too hot (crashed my game, destroyed my 5 hours works) two years
ago, since then, I have never ever let my computer overheat again by any
meaning.
As far as I know, there is no fans designed to solve CD drives heat problem,
except you can place a drive bay fan to one of your empty 5" bay right above
your CD drive (especialy CD writer). And yes, open case cover is another
solution that won't cost you a cent.

I have to say sorry to Bob, I'm not against your opinion, I just use your
post as a base so I don't have to write something you've already done.

Jun Qian