From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 2009 22:52:01 -0400
At 05:37 PM 7/12/1998 Roxanne Pierce wrote:

>To try to figure out whether the disk was causing the freezing at that
place, or
>whether the operating system was causing the freezing at that place, I
would run
>the DOS version of scandisk rather than the Windows version, and see what
>happens. . .

Roxanne:

When I hear of the kind of problem Michael
Beechey has ("SCANDISK stops on sector 1 of
339"), I think the best option is to do a full backup,
get a RMA on the drive and send it back for
replacement. If it's not in warranty, now's the
best time to replace it.

This drive may well choke on Norton, too. A
low level format may not cure it either. I suppose
if you can change the translation table of the hard
drive (IDE I suppose) and replace or retire the bad
sector(s) from use, it might be okay. Still, the drive
would be a low confidence level component, out of
my comfort zone.

Is it a Seagate, Michael? You can go to their website
and get a RMA online.

Regards,

John Chin