From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 10:13:38 -0700
At 06:54 AM 01/17/2001, Wiley Pinkerton wrote:
>HI,
>I'm trying to do a clean install of Win98 SE on a HP Pavilion 6460. The
>system has an Asus P3 Mobo, Intel Celeron 400 Mhz Processor, 96 MB Ram, and
>9.6 Gig HDD.
>I did a "zap-disk", fdisk, and re-format before the install.  The installation
>seem to be going well until one of the re-starts.  When the system re-booted,
>I received a message referring to a missing VMM32.VXD file and that Windows
>was unable to load.  I even copied the file from another system and copied to
>C:\Windows\System of the HP.  I also confirmed that the CPU and Memory sticks
>were clean and seated properly.  Any ideas?

The VMM32.VXD file is created when you install WIndows, in that
Windows takes 7 VXD files, compressing them into one 32bit library
file: VMM32.VXD.   This is exactly what our VXD file file does in order
to stop blue screens of death:  You can one of two things to solve this
problem:

1) Download our VXD file for WIndow98 and run it in DOS, ( from a
     Command Prompt).  The instructions are included within this file:
     http://www.freepctech.com/pc/002/files007.shtml#VXD

2)  You can reinstall Window98SE and it will rebuild your VMM32.VXD
     file during the install process.

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group