From:
Conor McNessa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 10:53:06 -0000
May I throw in my .02 euros on this one? I was having trouble with a vicious
and unreconstructed SCSI card recently and my son came comfortingly along
and simply took out the card and gave me a plug-and-play one. Problem
solved. Mind you, I only had an old Seagate hard drive and an external SCSI
CD-ROM (one of those great ones where you put the CD in a tray and slide the
tray in) on it.

So maybe your problem might be solved by using a plugg-ier-and-play-ier
Adaptec card? Oh, wait, I see it's already been solved by Bill's great
suggestion of a better cable.

Incidentally, what do you call the slot on the motherboard where the SCSI
card goes, please?

And two more questions:

* how can you actually measure the internal temperature of your computer?
* how do I low-level format a drive? I have the same SCSI drive, which later
went blooey on me, and would like to low-level format it, just to make sure
it is really dead - it was giving me messages saying the 0 sector was a
goner, but the fellow who sold it to me says it couldn't possibly be. So I
thought I'd try formatting it - what can it cost!

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org