From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 12:34:57 -0800
On  5 Mar 98 at 10:07, Don LeCLaire wrote:

>    I have a 75mhz Pentium system, currently with 40MB of RAM
> (two 4MB SIMMs and to 16 MB SIMMs). I'd like to ditch the
> 4MB SIMMs and add two 32MB SIMMs, however I've been told that
> Windows 95 will only recognize up to 64MB and not use anything
> over that. I vaguely recall this discussion once on PCBUILD
> and the conclusion was that while the Pentium's L2 cache will
> only handle the first 64MB of memory, any additional memory over
> that would still be available to Windows 95 applications. Before I
> go buy more memory could someone please set me straight on
> this issue. Thanks in advance for the help.

  It isn't the Pentium that limits the span of L2 cache -- it's the
chipset.  Odds are fairly good that yours has this limit, but if you
tell us what motherboard, we can confirm that.

  I've seen the claim that Win95 won't use more than 64MB; I honestly
don't know if it's true.  I had a bit of bother getting Win95 to
recognize the 96MB on my home system, but now it claims to; I have
not seen anything to convince me one way or the other as to whether
it "uses" all of that.

David G