Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 19:34:32 +0000
The power supply might be larger, but it will not consume any
additional power unless there is an additional load in the PC. (In
other words just because it is a 230 Watt PS, it isn't going to
consume 230 Watts.

Given that they must be using some sort of inverter to convert the
stored DC into AC for the computer I would be suspicious of the power
factor in the building. I find the little muffin fans inside
electronics very harmfull to PF ratings. I had a 20 KW UPS that fed a
main frame and it had problems doing it. Measured the PF,  it was
only 0.57. When we turned off the Fans, it restored to 0.98.
Obvisouly we needed the fans so we had to install PF correction
capacitors to keep it in spec. Most inverters will only run down
reliably to 0.8 PF. Given that there might be three muffin fans in
modern computer this could be a cause, or the new computer has
additional HD's, CD-Roms and just the new faster CPU's use more power
as well.

Hope this helps.

> Any chance that the new power supply is larger? Say going from a 150 watt to
> a 250 watt. It is a larger drain but really not significant (the equivalent
> of adding a 100 watt bulb). Operating systems in and of themselves do not
> increase power draw.
>
> If however you have additional drives, fans, etc. this will increase draw.
> Is this person perhaps using photo voltaic or other means of self
> generation? I only ask because a have an acquaintance that use photo cell
> generated electric. At his house every watt makes a difference.
>
> Breck
Dale Laluk / [log in to unmask]
P.O. Box 308
Hudson's Hope, B.C. V0C 1V0