From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 03:33:35 -0800
On 14 Feb 2003, at 21:14, Harlen wrote:

> A question for the network folks out there...
>
> I have a Linksys BEFSR41 wired router and a D-Link DWL-900 AP+ wireless
> access point. My question is, can I plug the D-Link access point into the
> router to pass the connection on to some wireless machines? Would I need
> to plug into the Uplink port on the Linksys router or just an open
> "numbered port"?

  A good rule of thumb is that you need a regular cable/port to connect a
layer 2 device to a layer 3 device (or vice-versa), but a crossover cable or
an uplink port (at ONE end) to connect two layer 2 devices or two layer 3
devices.

  The access point is a bridge, which is a layer 2 device (same as a switch).

  The BEFSR41 incorporates a router (layer 3) and a switch (4 ports at layer
2).  The normal intention is for the uplink port to connecto to a DSL or
cable modem (also a layer 3 device), and for your LAN computers (layer 3
devices) to plug into the switched ports.

  As nearly as I can figure from browsing D-Link's site about this access
point model, you will need a crossover cable to connect it to one of the
switched LAN ports on the LinkSys.

  My impression is that many access point products expect to be plugged into
a hub or switch, and so are wired to use a normal straight-through cable
(violating the rule of thumb above unless they are actual wireless
*routers*.)  But the wording of D-Links page leads me to believe they are
probably an exception to this, and that the rule of thumb applies.

David Gillett

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml