From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 12:03:50 -0600
At 08:59 AM 8/31/98 , Tommy Holmes, Jr. wrote:
>     We are intending to install a Win95 10/100 BaseT etherNet network for ten
>workstation locations and telephone access in our house for use in our
>homeschool.  Someone has proposed that we use a combination device that serves
>both as an etherNet hub for up to eight workstation locations and a network
>ISDN adapter.  One product recommended is the Microcom 808.  We are told that
>this device can be stacked to allow for more than enough connections.  Also,
>that it provides network visible ISDN access through a single telphone
>connection and ISP account.  We understand that it is supported by an
>installation wizard that eases start-up and configuration.
>     This certainly sounds great;  however, we wonder if anyone on the PCBUILD
>list has experience with this or similar devices adpated for a similar
>purpose.  Won't you listers share your observations and experiences?

My personal Intranet in my home is similiar to what you have described.

We have numerous computers connected to the network, my sons' systems
with 10k Nic cards into one 10k hub that has a cable running to the other side of
the house where we have our server, my wife's computer and my computer
all using 10/100 Nics connected to a 10/100 hub.  The server has an internal
56k modem that stays connected to the ISP.

We use Wingate as our gateway software to allow all the system to port
through the server and out to the Internet.  We also run a mail server
program in house ported to Wingate.    Wingate makes all the difference
with small Intranets like this.  It allows you to protect the network from outsiders
hacking into your network and gives you a great deal of freedom in the
Internet services availabe.   We can access the web, FTP, IRC, AOL, gopher,
smtp, POP and much more through Wingate.   http://www.wingate.net

We have not moved off of the 56k modem at home yet, as I decided that ISDN
for the price was not worth it, (double the speed for 4x the cost to us).   We
are waiting on some phone line changes to be implemented by my phone
company so that we can use RADSL or VDSL service at 512k for only twice
the cost of 56k service.

Anyway...   the setup of the network was very simple.   All the system have
either Win95 or Win98.  They work together just fine, for the most part.
We are using simple 10base-T / Cat5 cabling.  The 10/100k hub has an
uplink to solve the issue of connecting the two hubs together.  The cable
between the two hubs is about 100ft.

BOB WRIGHT  -   The NOSPIN GROUP
   [log in to unmask]   -   http://nospin.com
Listserv Owner   PCBUILD  -  PCSOFT
                          PC-PDA  -   I-GAMES

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**