From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 06:21:51 -0500
I have been running my network exactly like yours since the fall of 2001. I even removed ZAlarm.  My understanding is that all that is seen from the internet is the router, and most have built in firewalls.  From the beginning I have used file sharing with TCP/IP, and have had no problems. A real intent hacker could probably break in, but I don't have anything on my home computers that anyone would want.  I remove the stuff I want to keep every day to zip disks, and IBM microdrive, and eventually CD's. Hackers usually want some return on the investment of time it takes to hack in, so I'd think they would want sensitive corporate, government, or financial institution victims.  I do watch mostly for virii in my e-mail and in my downloads.

>I understand that the standard response to this concern is to do your file
>sharing over a non-TCP/IP protocol like MS NetBUIE.  One addresses this in
>the Settings / Control Panel / Network settings by going to the properties
>page of the TCP/IP protocol and unchecking the binding to MS Printer / File
>Sharing.
>

>> I have my home wired (Ethernet) with a D-Link 704 Router which is fed by
>> a cable modem.
>>
>> On my internal network, I have three PC's with 192.168.0.xx addressing.
>> I want to turn file sharing on, but am concerned about security from the
>> outside world.  Is there anyway an external individual can jump across
>> my router and access my private network?  If my router were configured
>> at 192.168.0.1 and my first pc configured at 192.168.0.2, can an
>> attacker guess and try to get past the router?
>>
>> I am under the assumption that they can not, and I have just a standard
>> setup on my network. I am only concerned about malicious incoming traffic.

                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>