From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 07:40:26 -0400
Kathleen -

Well, it will certainly depend on the os you're running.

Let me assume that it's nt.

The resource kit ('pay more money to microsoft') has a
command-line utility called shutdown.exe.  You can
use this to shutdown and restart (reboot) the computer.
You could then use the 'at' schedule service (or the
newer task scheduler) to run shutdown.exe on a
periodic basis.

(I suspect by now that you can get a freeware tool that
does the same thing as shutdown.exe, but that's just
a guess.)

However, why reboot.  In my experience, recent versions
of nt are quite stable.  I believe there are some known
resource leaks in the core os, but they are few and far
between, and only crop up in certain circumstances.
If you have a leaky app or service, it might be better
(it would certainly be taking the high road) to stop and
restart the buggy app on a periodic basis.  Rebooting
the os would usually be overkill.

(For example, I'm typing this message on a pc running
ntws4, sp5.  It's been up for six weeks now, and has
no need to be rebooted.  It's not a server, but it gets
daily use, and has a fair amount of stuff running on it.)

Good luck.

sybilgal <[log in to unmask]>

> My best friend has a server at his home..He finds that for various reasons
> (memory leak being one) that he needs to re-boot ever couple of days. My
> question is this:  Isn't' there a program or setting out there that he can
> use to have his server automatically reboot daily, let's say at 3:00am??

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html