Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 04:06:39 -0800
Have you checked for a BIOS update for the MOBO?

Some errors have been reported for that board, look
here:
http://www.au-ja.org/review-kt133a-2-en.phtml

Maybe this too affects your XP installation.

HTH,
tomas santos

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 00:38:39 -0500, Automatic digest
processor wrote:

 Rob Cilia <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Harddrive problems with new motherboard &
winxp

> Good Day PCBuild Listers, I have a problem and I'm
> hoping some of you can offer some suggestions.  I
> recently built a system for my bro-in-law, it's
running
> with a Chaintech 7AIA5 KT133A motherboard with 1.3ghz
> duron processor, 512mb of ram, 20gb maxtor drive,
128mb
> radeon card, dvd, cd-rw, etc.  Pretty decent system.
> We were originally running Win98 (first edition not
SE)
> on the system and we upgraded to WinXP, we kept both
> and we dual boot between 98 & xp, we have 98 running
on
> a 4gb partition, xp gets the remaining 16gb (both
> partitions are fat32).  We can run Windows 98
> indefinitely without any problems, however with winxp
> we run into system freeze up problems.  It's not the
> install of xp because we've done it a few times just
> test it out (ie. removed win98 & formatted the entire
> hd,
>  and installed xp by itself).  XP either hangs during
> boot up or when it does run, after @ 20-30min of
> operation, they system freezes up completely - we
can't
> ctrl-alt-del to see what service or software failed or
> anything - the system is just frozen and requires us
> power off/on the machine and repeat the process. Also
> xp's chkdsk tends to report a truckload of problems
> during most (not all) boot up's. We also find that
this
> occurs more frequently when we use the internet (high
> speed dsl).  I've run scandisk several times to no
> avail, and Norton Utilities can't find any problems.
> Ultimately we returned to a dual boot config just so
> that we could run win98 incase winxp became totally
> useless on any given day.  We're running with all the
> updated drivers for this system.  Why would Windows 98
> run flawlessly and XP have all these problems?  We
> purchased a new WD 40gb drive a few months ago and
> installed xp on it (we also tried win2k) but we get
the
> same issues - so it can't
> be a drive issue from what I can tell. I've also tried
> switching the ide cables and placing the hd on the
> secondary master instead of the primary master since
> the motherboard provides for 2 ide connections - I
> can't say for sure that this improves the situation -
> maybe a little but this isn't reliable enough to say
> we've fixed the problems because we still experience
> the system freeze up's in winxp.  Anybody else
> experience similar problems like this?  Is it possible
> that it's a motherboard problem?  I've run SiSoft's
> Sandra diagnostic and it hasn't reported anything (is
> there better more thorough diag software out there?)
> We would really like to run WinXP since MS has ended
> support for Win98 and also since XP is the newest OS
> available we would like to use it.  I am interested in
> any comments/suggestions available.  Thanks for your
> help.....uncle rob,wpg.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com