From:
"Bill M. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 14:05:46 -0600
-----Original Message-----
Subject: [PCBUILD] External Hard Drves
I am thinking about purchasing an external hard drive for my home computer,
primarily to store video clips and photos.  I have a few questions to ask
before I decide to make the purchase.

(1)   Is it easy to transfer files from the primary hard drive (Drive 1) to
the external hard drive, or visa versa?
(2)   Does the external hard drive require an operating system in order to
receive files from the primary hard drive?
(3)   What is the best port on the computer in which to connect the external
drive?
(4)   Will the external hard drive require a cooling fan?
(5)   Is it easy to share both hard drives on the same monitor?   For
example, can the monitor screen be partitioned to receive the OS from the
external drive on one-half and the OS from the primary hard drive, on the
other half?
(6)  Do you have any suggestions on good/inexpensive external hard drive
products?

Art Coleman

First off it is very easy to install an internal hard drive to your
computer. Most hard drives come with complete, easy to follow, step by step
instructions and it's a lot cheaper than an external drive. That being said:
(1) yes
(2) no
(3) parallel is faster than serial, usb is faster than both firewire is
fastest of all
(4) probably not
(5) no, your confusing apples and oranges
(6) no

Bill M. Smith
Urbana, IL

                     support at our newest website: