From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 00:52:40 -0500
Original msg of Glenn Bennington of july 09/  " Hello List,
Having a problem with what should be the easiest device ever, A 512 MB flash
drive. 3 different drives, Ive tried, 2 PNY and one Memorex .
6 month old Dell computer , running XP pro. Keeps coming up as "unknown USB
device"
This is on a friends computer, I tried 2 of the drives on mine also running XP
pro and they are recognized and worked right away.
appear under disk drives in device mgr. on mine where they should be,
On hers comes under USB controllers as unknown device.
Tried booting with device in drive, came up "new hardware recognized and
working", thought I was good to go,,,10 seconds later "Unknown USB device" error
again ,, no drive letter under My Computer.. tried all 4 different ports to no
avail.
This was done under administrator account.
Digital camera USB works on same ports...
Any ideas what I'm missing ??????  Thanks in advance "

since win xp detects and installs these drives without any drivers being needed

the only difference in set up between your and your friend's computer i can think of is the type of usb port. i am sure you are aware that there are two flavours--usb 1.0 and usb 2.0. so i would suggest you check whether there is any incompatibility between the usb version of the flash drive and the usb port of your friends computer. most usb 2.0 compatible hardware are backward compatible with usb 1.0 but not all.

HTH and have a nice day---Venkat Viswanathan