Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:28:16 -0500
Seeing as this is to do with drivers and modems I hope I am sending this to
the right forum.

This is for a family members computer. She had a HP with Win98. It was to
the point it was way to slow and had spyware all over it. She had purchased
a Dell, Pentium III, 1ghz with Win 2000 Professional from a company sale (it
was set up with a network or computers using the LAN).  It came with a disk
for the OS and SP4.

Hooked everything up including the DSL modem into the 10/100 jack. I spent 9
hours trying to get it to work with no luck.

I would install the software for DSL (SBC Yahoo) which is supposed to be
compatible with all OS. It would get to the area where is would try to
detect the modem. It always came back to an error of unable to detect modem.

We contacted the DSL co. and they had us go to device manager and under the

'other' there was a PCI Driver that had a yellow question mark. They said

that was the problem and we needed to get that driver from the people we

bought the computer from. The network drivers were listed though. What

driver would be missing if we had the OS disk? We tried to locate this

driver with no luck. We contacted them again and they switched us over to

Microsoft Support. They said that seeing as the network drivers are there,

they have no clue as to what this PCI driver is or why we would need it.

This whole time the DSL still worked on the old computer so we d/l a

EnterNet 300 driver for the DSL. Still no luck.

While trying to set this all up, we would go into connections and see that

the status of connection would send 100 or less bytes but not receive any

bytes.

We are at a loss and wondering if it is something to do with the

Professional version (not knowing anything about that type), the modem

itself not compatible, or we really are missing a driver.

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! I am hoping it is

something simple that will make me look foolish just to be done with it :-)

Thank you!

Dori Stormer

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml