From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 13:55:28 -0800
Daniel,

Prescott's do run hot, and it is perfectly normal. 55C is not out of line
for your CPU. Since 99% of the people run air cooling, core temp will also
depend on the ambient temperature, so it is important to know what the room
temperature is where the computer sits. You will find the core temp running
several degrees warmer in a room where the air temp is 85F (say in the
summer on a hot day) vs. 68F in the winter.

Also, you can't always believe the accuracy of the onboard temperature
sensor, they are known to possibly be off by several degrees.

I assume you are running the stock HSF that came with it, these are OK, but
not great. I personally have a 2.8E (Prescott core) running at 3.2G (thats
a 230Mhz FSB in case you were wondering, about a 15% overclock), with an
Aerocool HT-101 heatpipe cooler, and I could keep the core temp under 48C
(full load) on a warm day. This was about 10C cooler than the stock HSF.
However, Prescotts can actually run even warmer than you think, they have
built-in protection where they throttle the clock down when they get too
hot, I think it is somewhere around 85C where they start to throttle down.

If you are an experimenter like me, you could get a better after market
HSF, but otherwise, you are fine. Just make sure you have adequate case
ventilation too.

Russ Poffenberger

At 01:36 PM 1/5/2005, you wrote:
>I'm running a P4 3.2-478 pin Prescott core. I've always heard these chips
>tend to run hot. Right now I'm hitting about 55C degrees under a full 100%
>load. That seems way hot to me.
>
> From what I understand from the Intel web site this chip can run fine up
> to 78C degrees.
>
>That seems way, way hot to me.
>
>Has anyone here had any issues with these chips running so hot? Any problems?
>
>Regards,
>Daniel Medley

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com