From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:32:44 -0600
At 12:00 PM 9/24/2002, Demetri Kolokotronis wrote:
>I am transferring data from a three-partition drive, mounted as slave, to
>another three-partition drive. Drive letters on master drive were C, D, E
>as single. When second drive was mounted as slave, master drive's letters
>became C, E, F, and second drive's letters became D, G, H.
>
>When I finish transferring data, and dismount slave, will former master
>drive, now single, change from C, E, F to C, D, E, as wanted, or do I
>have to do something?
>
>Cloning drive was not an option, as wanted fresh install of  Win98 OS and
>selective transferring.

In a Win98 operating system, the drive letters will return to your C,D,E
configuration.  The slave drive you have copied all the files to will also
become this same configuration in a different Win98 machine...  you will
only need to set the C partition as active with Fdisk...

Now, with that said, Windows2000 and WindowsXP is a whole different
matter, especially WindowsXP.  Recently, I pulled a 20gig C drive out
of a WindowsXP Pro system, (it had gone bad).  I had an old 6gig drive
handy, so I stuck it in there temporarily, (the system had a 40gig D drive).
So, now I have a primary master unformatted 6gig drive and the 40gig
formatted drive with tons of data.  I put in my WindowsXP Pro Cd and
began the install process to the 6gig drive, remember it is the primary
master.  Windows recognized that it was unformatted, it gave me the
option to format it and install the operating system to this drive.  I went
ahead and choose this option began the install.  Now, I was not watching
too carefully, I have installed Windows so many times it is rather boring...
anyway, ultimately the system put my Primary Slave drive, the old D drive
as the C drive, it put the CD Rom which was the E drive to the D drive and
my new Primary Master became the E drive...   and the operating system
is installed to it.   Since this is my home entertainment center's media
PC, I was not to worried about it, at least so far.  It seems to work fine.
I tried to change the drive letters in the Administrative Tools, but it would
only allow me to change the drive letters of the C & D drives...  my new
E drive could not be changed as it contains the operating system.   Odd,
but it works...   *wink*

     Bob Wright
The NoSpin Group

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,