From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:37:24 -0700
> > The Cisco 675 is your own modem or the providers?
>
>I'm not sure why you are asking this question.  It's a Cisco 675.  Does it
>matter if it's owned by me or the provider?  The configuration is the same,
>regardless.  The ISP uses bridging mode.

Glad to read you have your problem solved Kyle!
I thought I would still answer your query as to why I was interested in who
provided the modem. Users with DSL or Cable connections are increasingly
turning to privately owned modems like the Cisco 675 which can often be
found on EBAY in order to get rid of the providers monthly rental fees. The
Cisco 675 is a very good modem.

However using your own modem on a broadband connection has some risks. With
the constant leaps in technology providers upgrade their modems at least
once every 18 months. They usually do this by flashing in the early hours
of the morning directly over the cable. Of course if you don't have one of
their modems you can't benefit from such an upgrade and in fact your modem
may not work after they make the upgrade. Another risk is if you need to
obtain tech support from the provider then you may have a problem. Just as
soon as they discover you have your own modem they will tell you the
problem is at your end. It rarely is the modem but they will still make you
change it first in order to eliminate it as a possibility.

I think we will eventfully see the day when the modem will come as part of
the service and there will not be any additional rental fee from any provider.

Mark Rode
The NoSpin Group

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html