From:
Ray Parrish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 15:43:47 -0700
You can "clone" the hard drive with "My Computer". Just start a "My Computer"
window and double click the drive you want to copy. Now you should have a list

of all files and folders in the root ot the drive.

Point to the first file or folder in the listing, hold down "Shift" and point
at or move
the arrow keys to the last file in the list.

Select "Edit, Copy" from the "My Computer" menu bar.

Start a fresh "My Computer" window, and double click the drive you want to
copy everything to. Select "Edit, Paste" from the menu of the new window and
sit back and watch the file copy operation complete.

You have now cloned your drive.

NOTE: You should first make sure that "My Computer" isn't set to hide system
files or you will miss them. To change this setting go to "View, Folder
Options" of the
"My Computer" menu, select the "View" tab, and make sure "Show all Files" is
selected in the "Hidden Files" section.

Uzi Paz wrote:

> I just bought a new IBM (IDE) HD (40Gb) to replace my older WD 8.4 Gb HD.
> I have win98, and since the new drive is much faster than the old, I wish
> to clone the old HD to the new, so that I can use the new one as my main
> HD.
>
> Now I know that there are various programs that can clone the HD, such as
> StorageSoft's EZ-copy ($20), PowerQuest's DriveCopy ($30), or Norton's
> Ghost ($70).
> Yet, I have the feeling that I can make the cloning manually using
> something like the xxcopy freeware program (the program that extends
> xcopy) or some similar freeware.
>
> Is it right? and if yes, then how should I do it? What should I be aware
> of?
>
> If not, then is there any reason to prefer one of the more expensive
> programs from the ones I mentioned above, or anything else?
>
> BTW, I vagually remember that there was some free program which was
> offered to WD users that allowed to upgrade either from or to a WD HD, but
> I couldn't find any such program in their web pages.
>
> (other information: Win98 Hebrew enabled, Celeron 400, MSI 6163
> motherboard, 96Mb SDRAM +192 Mb fixed swap file).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Uzi

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml