From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:31:30 -0400
I have a linksys dsl router / wireless access point.

I have it working with 3 1/2 clients, but am now
having the following problem.

I have a laptop (ntws 4.0 / sp5) that was working fine
with the router when hooked up with a wired connection
(10 MB ethernet).  tcp/ip was configured with the nic
to use dhcp.  The machine could see other machines
on the lan (both wired and wireless), and could go out over
the dsl line through the nat gateway.

I then installed an orinoco silver wireless pcmcia card on
the laptop.  Now the machine can't access the internet.
I don't have all of the details completely straight, but it
appears that the machine can't find a dns server.  The
machine has tcp/ip connectivity on the lan, it knows the
router as its default gateway (according to ipconfig /all),
but has no wins (dns?) servers listed.

Also, *after installing the orinoco card*, the same situation
occurs when I use a wired connection from the laptop to
the router.  (This was the configuration that used to work just
fine.)  I did not (explicitly) reconfigure anything on the regular
(wired) nic.  I don't remember exactly what ipconfig showed
before installing the orinoco card when the wired nic was
working.  In particular, I don't remember whether it showed
anything for wins or not.

I've tried various combination of  ipconfig /release,
ipconfig /renew, turning off, removing the wireless card,
rebooting, etc., to no avail.  (All of the above appear to work
as expected, except I can't get out through the gateway,
seemingly because of this dns problem.

I have not yet tried going out through the gateway using an
ip address (rather than a host name), because I didn't have
any known pingable ip addresses at the tip of my tongue when
I was trying all of this.

One other point:  I have a second laptop (not currently available)
that has a built-in wired nic and a cisco aironet wireless card.
After configuring it to talk to the dsl router, both the wired and
wireless connection work correctly (dns, internet, and all),
even when they are hooked up simultaneously.  (I haven't
really tested the latter, but it appears to work.)

Any ideas?

I don't really know how dhcp works.  It assigns me an ip address,
it appears to automatically assign the default gateway.  I would
assume that it would automatically assign the dns servers, but
that's just speculation, and I don't see any evidence of that from
ipconfig.  (For example, in RAS, under ppp tcp/ip settings, there
are two independent choices: one for server assigned IP address;
and a second for server assigned name server addresses.  Is there
something like this in dhcp in some hidden configuration screen?)

Synopsis:  2 1/2 other clients work fine, including a similar
wired / wireless setup.  The new orinoco card works on the
lan, but not the internet, and installing the orinoco card caused
the previously working wired connection on the same machine
to quit working on the internet.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews