From:
Jun Qian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 23:59:57 +1000
I have to agree with Bob, all I want to say is to add another point here.

Do not trust thoes Bios hardware monitor, they don't always work. In fact, they
usually don't work. especially for socket 370 CPUs, the fan speed detection is
totaly useless ('cos they can't detect at all).

J Qian

Bob Wright wrote:

> At 08:09 PM 8/6/99 , Steve Dias wrote:
> >Of course, I have not seen inside of this computer, but my best guess
> would be that there is a heatsink/fan on the CPU.   It maybe faulty, needing
> replacing or it may just not be connected to the motherboard, either
> as an error during assembly or the connector came loose during shipping.
>
> The one thing I would not do is continue to run the computer, especially
> in light of the reported CPU temperature.  I would leave it turned off
> until you open the case and check the power cable to the fan.  The fan
> may have totally come off of the CPU in shipping and could cause other
> issues.
>
> No matter what else, I would immediately open the case and check the
> fan.  Worse case in this matter is a new fan/heatsink at a cost of under
> $20...   even though the system is under warranty, the nuisance of
> going through the warranty procedures because you did not check the
> fan is not worth it.
>
> My opinion...
>
>                  Bob Wright
>         The NOSPIN Group, Inc
> http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org
>
>                PCBUILD mailing list is brought to you by:
>                             The NOSPIN Group
>                   http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html