Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 19:23:36 -0700
  Thanks for the feedback! The computer was taken in to a very experienced pc
  repairmen who ended up shipping it to gateway. He said the same thing. It
  seems to me that if a machine will not even post, it has likely got some
  serious mobo problems.

  Thanks again,
  Karen Coe

  > We have about 80 of the Profile-3s on campus. The failure rate on these
  has
  > been higher than any other PC we have ever used. About 10% of them failed
  > boot right out of the box. We have had numerous hard drive and MB failures
  > since the original installation. I have 2 units with bad hard drives and 1
  > with a bad MB in my office right now. The overall failure rate we have
  > experienced on these machines is approaching 30%.
  >
  > Powering a PC off and back on should not cause it to self destruct.
  >
  > >
  > This computer is one of the new hybrids. It has the pc built in back of
  the
  > monitor - sort of like a cross between a laptop an a PC. I wanted to
  network
  > a LAN with a router. I powered everything down, plugged in the router,
  > connected the DSL line to the router, connected the router to the PC, and
  > turned on router and DsL modem. I then tried to power on the PC. It got as
  > far as the ME splash screen and then went black. Then it hung. I powered
  off
  > with the surge protector (no other choice), and then tried to power on
  > again. Wierd things happened, but it never even got to POST after that,
  > although the fan was spinning and hard drive LED came on. Unfortunately,
  it
  > was not my computer, so of course, the owner insists that I caused this.
  Did
  > I? He HAS had a similar problem with the same model - upon complete power
  > down, it would not power up and had to be taken in to Gateway. Anyone else
  > out there heard of this issue with the profile-3 model?
  >
  > Thanks,
  > Karen

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com