From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:01:35 -0600
From: Max : Subject: [PCBUILD] Two devices take on one interrupt -- the
sequel; first round failed

> Hello Yui and others, thanks for responding to my post;
> the problem is not yet solved hence the follow-up.
>
> A few days ago, I wrote:

In Windows 95 I remember being able to change IRQ's in Device Manager.  The
PCI  bus is part of the Plug and Play standard.  The PCI chipset circuitry
handles the identification of cards and works with the operating system and
BIOS to automatically set resources for compatible peripheral cards. Windows
98 is supposed to be a Plug and Play system so we do not have the same
control over selecting IRQ's, and have to use the BIOS or just plain moving
cards around to try and resolve conflicts.  The Original Bios for the Abit
BH6 did not allow you to set the IRQ's for the PCI slots it only let you
select whether an IRQ should be reserved for an ISA legacy device or not.
This was changed with a Bios upgrade which then allowed setting the IRQ for
PCI slots.

Since both of the cards keep selecting the same IRQ it appears that on this
motherboard that PCI slot 3 and PCI slot 5 are sharing an IRQ.  Your only
solution may be moving one of the cards to a different slot so you can
select separate IRQ's.  If the manual doesn't have information on which PCI
slots are sharing IRQ's it will be trial and error to find slots that won't
force the cards to use the same IRQ.

Mary Wolden

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html