From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 22:01:49 -0800
  The NDIS series are specifications for interfaces between the specific NIC
drivers and the generic OS network code.  It's glue between the bits from
Microsoft and the bits from the hardware maker.

  NetBEUI and TCP/IP play the same role, but in different ways.  The way
that NetBEUI does it is kind of crude and wasteful, and works only to
connect to resources on your local LAN.  To connect to resources on the
Internet, you *must* use TCP/IP (or go through a proxy server that will
convert what your machine does to TCP/IP).  Since you can also use it on
your local LAN, it's true that you don't need NetBEUI.

  For a while, there was advice circulating that recommended use of NetBEUI
for local LAN resources, specifically to prevent exposing them to the
Internet.  But it has downsides as well, and you'll get this protection and
more from a firewall, that advice has less and less to recommend it.

  [It's not clear from your post if you even *have* a home LAN; if you
don't, NetBEUI will never be used unless something is misconfigured, in
which case it will just slow everything down.]

David Gillett

On 4 Jan 2005 at 14:42, Betti Ann & Preston Smith wrote:

> The PCSOFT moderator suggested I pass this to PCBUILD
>
>  From Network properties I see the following network components
> installed in my Compaq Presario 1277 (128mb RAM) using W98 SE
>
> - Client for Microsoft Windows
> - Microsoft Family Logon
> - Belkin Wireless 56 Mbps Notebook Adapter
> - D-link DFE-690 TXD Cardbus PC Card
> - Dialup Adapter
> - Existing Ndis2 Driver
> - NetBEUI -> Belkin Wireless 56 Mbps Notebook Adaptor
> - NetBEUI -> D-link DFE-690 TXD Cardbus PC Card
> - NetBEUI -> Dialup Adapter
> - NetBEUI -> Existing Ndis2 Driver
> - TCP/IP -> Belkin Wireless 56 Mbps Notebook Adaptor
> - TCP/IP -> D-link DFE-690 TXD Cardbus PC Card
> - TCP/IP -> Dialup Adapter
> - TCP/IP -> Existing Ndis2 Driver
>
> I read recently that there is no need for NetBEUI if TCPIP is installed.
>   Is this correct? Does the installed NetBEUI use any system resources?
>   What is Ndis2?  I am travelling with my laptop and can not get much
> time to do a Google search since I am using a very slow dial up
> connection with many others waiting in line to use it
>
> Thanks and Happy New Year
>
> Preston

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com