From:
Alan Galucki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 22:35:03 -0500
I would like to set up my mom's home to enable use of the printer by 2 computers, one MAC and one PC. Her setup is like this;
  An Apple notebook with wireless, an Apple wireless router connected to DSL internet, an Epson printer USB'd into the Apple router which she can print from the notebook with, then a Gateway (Windows 98) wireless adaptered to access the Apple router for internet use. I want to make the printer accessable from the Gateway through the router connection. Is this possible?
 After installing the wireless adapter to the Gateway, I did have internet access through the Apple router. The browser (IE6) functioned properly and surfing was no problem. However, when accessing Microsoft Windows Update to update her OS on the Gateway, the website read her system as being Apple and not Win98. I assume by using the Apple router somehow the identifying codes for her system were labeled incorrectly and the website shunted me to the Apple site for upgrades.
   Another factor I experienced is my own laptop use in her house. I run WinXP on a Presario laptop. My wireless card is accessing the net through her Apple router. I had no difficulty getting my OS updates through Windows Update at Microsoft. No shunting. This confuses me. Why does my browser work(IE7) and hers not?
  I would appreciate any enlightenment towards getting her units communicating.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>