From:
ken and sue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:18:28 -0800
Rather than continuing on with the isp bull,try broadband,the slowest is 5x faster than dial up and it is not so expensive as you might think.i do not want to sound like a commercial but i would never go back.

Tom Waddell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  Modem string and connection speed problems. Running WinXP, SP2, MSI 6553 MB, 1.7GHz Celeron P4 processor, 2GB RAM.

1. I have a USR5610B internal PCI modem. It works great when it works but drops the call often. It doesn't disconnect from the internet. I just get the "Page can not be found" message. Redialing works until it drops the call again. Found an initialization string for a USR2976 with similar problems. The string is (AT&F1&K3S15=2S11=38S27=16S0=0) no parenthesis. This seemed to help but my connection speed dropped from 45KBPS to 26KBPS. Surprisingly, I didn't notice a significant drop in how long it took to load a new page.

2. Without using the above string, I occasionally connect at 31KBPS but it takes so long for a page to load that I find it useless. I redial an
d get 45KBPS and pages load as fast as a dial up is going to work. I am told that my connection speed has more to do with the connection to my ISP and not with how fast I can download from the internet. My guess is your connection speed to your ISP has got to affect your download speed.

3. Does anyone know of an initialization string that will correct the dropped call problem AND allow me to connect at 45KBPS?

4. If I don't really notice a big difference in how long it takes to load a new page, should I use the above string and live with the 26KBPS connection speed?

5. Can someone explain just what the connection speed your modem program reports really means?

Thanks,

Tom

PCBUILD's List Owners:
Bob Wright