From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 22:21:53 -0400
At 18:24 29-06-98 -0400, Herbert Graf wrote:
>>> Regarding the space advantages of using 4K... c,mon it's obvious!!
>>> Just check out how many small files you have!!!
>Please be sure to realize that files under 4K are only a small part of the
>space wasted, almost every file on your system wastes a small amount of
>space, consider a 33K file, with 4K clusters it wastes 3K, with 8K clusters
>7K wasted, and on and on. Just though I should mention that. TTYL

On average, you waste half a cluster for every file on your system.

I have about 60,000 files and my clusters are 16KB each (9 partitions
spread over several disks). So I waste about .48 GB out of a total
of 8 GB. If I changed all to FAT32 with 4 KB clusters, I could expect
to get back about 360 MB. But I can't do that since I am using Win95a
on this system.

As an aside on cluster sizes, I have a 208 MB partition dedicated to
a 200 MB Win95 swap file. I have set this partition to have 32 KB
clusters so that the swap file has less total clusters.

Regards,
Bill