From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 23:52:15 +0100
Mark Rode said:
>I am working on a old ST-3391A  Medalist 340xe
>........a 350 meg AT hard drive <snip>
>However I can not label the drive. When I formatted I did not
>create a label and yet there is one .....Ai......<snip>
>I can not remove it or change it and any attempt to do so
>with the label command results in a error message
>from Dos < cannot make directory entry > . (Dos 6.22)

You tell us the drive is functioning well which suggests
it holds files - but not how you set it up after formatting.

Two possibilities come to mind:
a) you copied a large number of files into the root directory
and the directory is full, so DOS cannot make another entry;

b) you copied files from a Win95 system which was using
long file names and the hidden directory entry which holds
the long file name information is appearing to DOS 6.22
as a disk label - but DOS doesn't know how to modify it.

Does this remind you of anything you might have done?
They are not mutually exclusive, but I'd bet on (b) myself.

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> WWW Pager http://wwp.mirabilis.com/10120933