From:
Dan Duffy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 21:34:44 -0400
Joel,
If you have a floppy in A on boot it should stop and give you the Non-System
disk or disk error message.  That should tell you right there that its NOT
a windows error since the OS has not begun to initialize at that point.
I would have to think that your problem is the mini connector, or the floppy
drive controller or the bios is having trouble.

Dan

Dan,

It was always set to seek the floppy on boot, and although the LED on the
drive lights up during the boot, it does not try to boot from the Win 98
startup disk.  It was originally set to boot in this order: A, C, F(zip
drive). I changed that to Zip, C,E(CDROM).  I tried the swap floppy enabled
and got a "drive failure (40)" message during POST, which is where the boot
stopped. I diabled that and still got a "drive failure (40)" message during
POST.  I then changed the boot sequence A,C,F, and it booted up OK.  The IT
guy at my office thinks I may just have to break down, fdisk, reformat and
reinstall. He thinks it's a problem with Win 98, not a hardware problem.  He
thinks that because when I right-click on A in "my computer" I don't get any
context menu, and when I left-click it just locks up the application.  I
don't get even "A is not ready, retry/cancel".  I do get that message in
Explorer, but he thinks Win 98 is screwed up.

In answer to your last sentence, it will not boot from the floppy, the LED
lights up and then it goes on to boot from C. Joel

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com