From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 15:01:24 -0700
On 6 Aug 99, at 15:03, us271782 wrote:

> One of our PC's decided not to power up this morning.  I checked outlet,
> power strip, fuse, voltage setting and power cord with no resolution. I'm
> guessing next thing to check is internal power supply.  I've never had to
> check/replace a power supply and I have a very healthy respect for things
> electrical.  What are the steps I need to follow up to and including
> replacing the power supply.  Thanks.

  There are two basic things to remember:

1.  Unplug it from the wall.  You're working too far "upstream" for the power
switch to provide any protection!

2.  Make sure the power connectors are on right.  A friend got them "off by
one" pin and fried much of his system.

  Notice that the power supply is enclosed in a metal box, labelled something
like "No user serviceable parts inside".  As long as you stay outside that
box, things won't get any more complicated than the two rules above.

  A good, UL-listed power supply may easily set you back $50 -- more than
many case+power supply combos....  As long as the rated power is about right
and the physical shape/size and connector style (AT vs ATX) all check out,
replacing the old with the new should be a breeze.

  One caveat:  I don't think I've ever had a power supply *suddenly* die.
They tend to get flaky for 1-3 months first.  I *have*, however, had the
motherboard voltage regulator blow, on a couple of different boards.  (In
that case, drives etc. power up okay but no CPU or video.)  You may find that
it is the motherboard you need to replace, and not the power supply.

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html