From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 10:34:11 -0700
Jeff House wrote:

> Hello ,
> I have a Epson Color Stylus 600 a couple days ago. It needed new
> cartridges so I bought them. After going through all the diagnostics Epson
> provides ( clean , align etc.. ) it still won't print. Does anyone know > much about this model ?

Yes I do.

 I pulled out each cartridge and cleaned the nozzle off
> that goes into the cartridge itself but still nothing.

"Once you install an ink cartridge do not open the clamp or remove the
cartridge except to replace it with a new one. The cartridge may become
unusable otherwise." The best analogy I can give here is an example of
what can happen if you unseat a toilet and reseat it without replacing
the wax ring. Basically the same thing happens. They may leak and cause
damage.

If you decide to take your printer in for service, you may contact Epson
at (800)922-8911 and they will give you a referral to the nearest
"Authorized Epson Service Center".

A note from Epson. "When you don't turn on your printer for a long time,
the print quality can decline. It's a good idea to turn on your printer
at least once a month to maintain good print quality.

I recommend that this be done on a more frequent basis especially during
the summer months when it is hot. Always run the cleaning utility when
you install a new cartridge.

You can enter the head cleaning utility for better results. Depressing
the "Cleaning" button on the "Control Panel" is good if you are trying
to correct a minor problem. For a more aggressive approach I recommend
that you use the "Head Cleaning Utility" (Click Start, point to
Settings, then select Printers. Right-click the "Epson" printer icon and
then properties. Click on the utilities tab) due to the fact that this
is a more aggressive approach to cleaning the head and nozzles. Each
time you do this test in succession, the more forceful the ink will be
pushed through the head. Please bear in mind that this may take up to
ten cycles before the jets are cleared.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

 The printer is
> working great besides printing. Can anyone help??? I know this printer has
> worked before I hooked it up for the person a couple years ago.

This paragraph is a little vague. As I understand it, you connected this
printer up for a person several years ago and now it won't work? Was the
printer in regular use? Was it stored for a year without taking the
cartridges out?

What this sounds like to me is, dried ink in the capillary tubes. Please
understand that the "print head" contains the ink nozzles not the
cartridge like an HP of Lexmark.

Carol Hooton made a good suggestion to try first. You may have to do
this up to ten times or so before you se any results. If the ink has
dried out, you may have to have the head serviced.

"1.  After you load the new cartridges, make sure you press the "ink
drops"
on the middle front of the printer.  This allows the mechanism to take
the
cartridges back to their ready state."

A&C Thompson also gave some links to Epson which are very good too.

http://support.epson.com/hardware/printer/inkjet/sc600_troubleshooting.html
http://support.epson.com/webadvice/wa0013.html

Short of going through all these hoops your final option is to take your
printer into an Epson repair facility and have them unclog the jets. To
replace the head will cost about a hundred dollars and this is just for
the head and doesn't include labor

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions