From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:00:39 -0500
There are two ways that you can do this on the older TIVO units (not the
Series 3).

First, you can do it yourself.  It uses Linux for the operating system, and
is somewhat technical.  See

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/

for information on how to do this.  (I would say that it is pretty much
off-topic for PCBUILD.)

Or, for about twice as much money, you can buy an already-prepared hard
drive and simply replace the one in your TIVO unit with the purchased one -
a trivial job for a PCBUILDER. :)  I did this to three of my TIVO's.  I
bought my stuff from Weaknees, and highly recommend them.

http://www.weaknees.com/

The people at the TIVO community forum have a great deal of info on doing it
yourself.  I chose to spend the extra money and go with weaknees.  I kept
the old drives as backups, but you could use them in a computer if you
wanted to.

HTH

Dean Kukral  (TIVO Lover!)