Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 21:49:16 +1200
Frank, you CAN reinstall while retaining your present configuration - either
from DOS, or while in Windows.  Only problem is, it won't help much.  If you
have errors now, you'll probably still have them after the reinstall.

I don't necessarily subscribe to the theory of reinstalling the system at
regular intervals per se, but it's certainly a must for me every 6 months or
so.

Some people seem to be able to go for long periods without needing to
rebuild their OS.  One such person is my wife - the only time her W98SE
system gets screwed up is when I decide it needs 'improving' or 'upgrading'
and I fiddle with it.  Otherwise her system would remain stable almost
indefinitely.

But then she's careful with her computer, she's tidy and gentle in the way
she handles it, and this definitely pays off.

My system gets a thrashing.  I'm always changing it about, trying different
and often untested methods and systems, installing and uninstalling
mountains of software and generally treating it badly.  So, frequently, it
falls over and plays dead.

The point I'm making here is:  Your system will behave itself much better if
you're very careful with it and don't abuse it, like the proverbial little
old lady who only took her car out on Sundays.  But if you treat it hard,
expect to reinstall the OS often.

But so what?  No big deal in that.  The best way to learn what makes Windows
tick is to take it apart and put it back together again.

To answer your question about having to re-do the updates - unfortunately
it's hard to dodge this task.  There is a way to store Windows updates (for
98 anyway) and I've done this, to try and avoid the tedious update process.
But it's slow and messy and it really is easier to do it the long way -
after all it's only about an hour's work for that part of the job and most
of that time is spent waiting for Microsoft's overloaded server to process
your download. So you can do something else while you wait.

BUT! - One thing everyone needs to keep in mind about W98 updates - MS are
finally pulling the plug on W98 in June this year, just a few weeks away - I
don't know the exact date - maybe someone else can tell us. But once that
happens - no more patches, upgrades and critical updates.

What to do about it? Well, this is just a suggestion, but it's what I'm
going to do:   Get yourself a spare hard drive, it doesn't need to be new or
even very large, and install Windows98SE on it together with every Microsoft
update that you deem necessary for your needs.  Then when it's all finished,
stick it away in a cupboard or a drawer to use as a master drive from which
you can reinstall your system.

If you don't manage to do something like this - well, it won't be the end of
the world.  After all, there are many of us still using Windows95 and that
particular OS has been officially dead for several years.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

From: Frank

>         Hello,   A request for help:-
> I've been advised by several 'experts' to reinstall my operating system
> at regular intervals.  This procedure is said to be the only practical
> way to clear up certain fatal faults which crop up.
>        My operating system for several years has been Windows 98.  I
> have tried reinstalling using the original master CD to the original
> location and address.  However I do not see an option to simply REPAIR
> - thus keeping the myriad of updates and customizing accomplished over
> the years - rather than obliterating the old installation.  It would
> seem so tedious to re-do everything.  Is it necessary?
>          How can I 're-install' while retaining my present
> particulars?  Is there any way?
>            Many thnks for your attention,        Frank Warhurst

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml