From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:07:54 -0400
In re-reading MY original reply - (clipped), I see one slight error of mine...

CD-RWs DO have the speed embedded on the disk so a burner can
adjust to it...  I generally forget that since I never buy them (anymore)...

Given a choice, I will always use CD-R or DVD(- or +)R.

If the disks are for short term storage I'd say what you have is fine.
CD-Rs will hold up much longer, but since there is no proof (but lots
of people agree) we might have to accept that at face value, as in JMHO.

"Conventional wisdom" says to store the disks "not to hot or cold"
not where it is humid, not in the sunlight...  (Good luck.)

                                             Rick Glazier

From: "Thomas J. Holmes, Jr."
> Well, the project was to copy to the CD-RW a full ThinkPad
> HDD backup made with the IBM Rescue & Recovery Program.  R&R
> actually has an option for this task so we did not use
> either the Win XP applet or the IBM-provided DLA program,
> each of  which apparently allows for Drag & Drop of files to
> the CD drive icon of My Computer.  On each new CD-RW, the
> program "premastered" initially, then "copied", and then
> "verified".   I just surmised that "premastering" is a
> function for CD's that is analogous to formatting for
> diskettes.
>
> With this program, there was no opportunity to set or to
> adjust burn speed.
>
> So, does that sound about right?

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com