From:
Jay Merritt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 23:52:31 EST
Hi All,
I apologize for the lengthy question which follows, but want to give as much
info to the group as possible in hopes of an appropriate answer. I have the
following system, which has been running very solid for a little over a year.
It is as follows:

Abit BE6 II Mobo
PIII 600/133 FSB CPU Retail boxed (NEVER OVERCLOCKED)
2 sticks of Crucial 128MB PC133 ECC ram
3DFX Voodoo 3 3500 AGP Video Card
Win98SE
Pioneer DVD ROM
HP CD/RW
2 -WD UDMA-66 20.5 Gig 7,200 drives
Full tower case w/2 cooling fans & 1 HDD fan
PC Power & Cooling 275 Watt Power Supply
The System crashed Christmas day after rendering a home video w/Pinnacle DV.
So far I have been unable to get it going again. I have replaced the video
card with a new replacement from 3DFX and tried an old PCI 4 Meg card,
removed and swapped positions of the Ram, cleared CMOS and reset BIOS,
removed all cards, & removed all drives. I believe at this point the MOBO
must be bad as I am running out of ideas.  I understand the BE6 II is an
Intel 440BX chipset, which is "Out of Specs" w/the 133 FSB speed I have been
running the system at. Is there a definitive way to check the MOBO. (I don't
have another Slot one processor to try in it.) I have ordered a new Abit SH6
board, which is an Intel 815 Chipset, & supposed to work with 133FSB and Slot
1.
The symptoms are as follows:
If the system has been off for a few hours it will likely boot and within 2
minutes of being on the screen will simply freeze and the keyboard will not
respond. The only way to shut it off is w/power switch. An immediate reboot
will result in a blacked out monitor, with no POSTING info on screen, or any
video BIOS. After a few seconds like this, a pulsing siren sound comes from
the system speaker.  All attempts at troubleshooting as outlined above, have
resulted in the same scenario.  Any help would be greatly appreciated at this
point.
TIA,
Jay Merritt